A Saturday morning kind of breakfast on a calm and grey Wednesday. Healthy, simple and aaaaw so delicious! Don’t know about you, but I could eat porridge all day, every day. I love it in all kind of versions and mixtures – for its taste and simplicity! This one is a simple version with a special taste though. Worth giving it a try! Follow this recipe for 1 portion.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 tsp. honey
1 tbsp. flax seeds
- Toast the almonds for a while in a pan over high heat, make sure to shake the pan occasionally in order not to burn them. Put the almonds aside.
- Toast the oats for a few minutes, as well make sure not to burn them. The toasting gives them a nutty taste which I like. Add milk [ to me almond or rice milk tastes best ] and water, stir well and cook for 2 minutes. Then remove from the heat, cover with lid and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- In the meantime fillet the orange by first trimming off a bit of the top and the bottom so it will “sit” on your cutting board. Peel it slice by slice from top to bottom. Try removing all the white without cutting off too much of the orange [ challenge! ]. Then take the orange in your hand, hold it over a bowl to catch the juice and cut left and right of each fillet to extract it. When done, squeeze the remaining orange to catch the juice.
- Mix the orange juice with honey and heat it up in a small pan until boiling. Let it simmer for a while.
- Stir the porridge and add cinnamon [ as much is you like, I like it with looots of cinnamon ] and flax seeds and put it in a bowl. Top with orange-honey-juice, orange fillets and toasted almonds. And your ready for a great day! Enjoy.
Let me know if you like it 🙂