Kale and cocktail, kale and pasta, kale and bread…. kale does never fail! Jap, this is my motto – at least during wintery months when this frizzy green is in season. In order not to miss any chance of serving this veggie I figured out ways and dishes to seduce even non-kale-lovers 😉 And this proved to work perfectly with kale chips plus alcohol or kale & basil pesto plus pasta. The basil and lime give an appealing fresh and smooth flavor to the pesto. Another insider tip: Toast the kale slightly for delicious roasty flavors in your pesto. Of course you’re absolutely fine using raw kale as well. Anyways, give it a go and get the following ingredients for 2 generous pasta & pesto portions:
8 kale leaves
small bunch of basil
1 lemon (juice & zest)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
- Wash kale leaves carefully, cut them into smaller pieces and marinate them with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Place marinated kale on baking tray covered with baking paper. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C and roast kale for 5 minutes.
- Roast the pine nuts for a while in a pan over high heat, make sure to shake the pan occasionally in order not to burn them.
- Grate the lemon peel and put all ingredients in a bowl, add pine nuts and kale when roasted [ leave a few kale pieces for the decoration ].
- Cut finely or blend everything until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, olive oil, salt or pepper as necessary.
And there you go! Enjoy this superfood pesto with your fav kind of pasta, with roasted veggies or with bread.